Translate This Blog

Monday, February 14, 2011

Love Is In The Air

Those of you who are married and have kids can probably relate to my situation.  My wife and I haven't been on a date in many months, and honestly can't remember when our last one was.  We have lunch together a few times per month, but haven't done a real honest-to-goodness date in far too long.  With this being Valentine's Day, we made a point to change that.

Because I was originally scheduled to work today (I ended up taking the day off) we made our plans for last night.  Rather than the typical dinner and a movie, I found a local place that had dancing and dining.  It was a small nightclub with a fairly intimate setting and a live band.  We dressed up in dressy clothes since we never do that and went out to spend some time together.


Honestly, it wasn't a busy, exciting evening.  We spent about 3 1/2 hours sitting, talking, listening to music, and watching people.  But it was so very nice.  We relaxed, we didn't have an agenda, and we didn't feel rushed.  The time was spent talking, holding hands, leaning close to each other, and simply having quality time together.  Though we see each other every day, there are usually so many distractions with the kids, pets, and daily life.  Having that simple time together allowed us to focus on each other and re-connect a bit.

I'm proud to say that I'm more in love with my wife now than when we first met almost 13 years ago, and that grows every day.  She is my best friend, my partner, and my forever love.  I am truly blessed to have her in my life.  Later today the kids will be home from school and we're babysitting her sister's four kids so they can have some time on Valentine's Day, so the daily grind is quickly coming back.  But the stresses of life will never fully get in the way of our love, and we enjoyed last night so much that we're already planning on our next date on March 11th, the 13th anniversary of our first date.

Yeah, when you're parents you have to plan these dates in advance.