Translate This Blog

Thursday, December 3, 2009

Fun With Words

Here's a weird thing about me (one of many)....there are certain words I just love to hear and say.  I don't know why, but some words simply sound interesting to me, or I love the specific meaning that they give.  Here are some examples....

Plethora
Ubiquitous
Purulent
Borborygmi
Ornithology

Language can be fun, and I enjoy learning about the origins and underlying meaning of words and phrases.  The English language is such a hodge-podge (there's another good one!) of words from other cultures and languages and is constantly evolving that some people spend their lives studying it.  Unfortunately, people often butcher words, usually unintentionally.  I have learned to live with these mistakes, but it still bothers me sometimes.  For example, there is no such word as "irregardless".  It's simply "regardless".

Anyone else have this quirk?  I'd love to hear other words that people find interesting/alluring/gripping/intriguing/etc.