Translate This Blog

Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thanksgiving

Today in the US was the holiday of Thanksgiving.  The origins are meant to celebrate how some of the original English colonists made it through a hard winter with the help of Indians and gave thanks afterwards. But nowadays it is mostly a time to get off work, eat a ton of food, hang out with family, and prepare for huge after-Thanksgiving sales in the stores.

We're also supposed to reflect on the things we are thankful for.  Many people find this difficult in the current economy, with job losses, lower pay, and less joy overall.  But I think if anyone tries hard enough, they can find something to give thanks about.

I'm thankful for God and His blessings.  For my beautiful and wonderful wife, who is endlessly patient with me.  For two great children who fill my life with joy and help teach me patience.  For a good job with great prospects.  For a healthy family and money in the bank (though barely so!).  For a father who has given me great guidance over the years and continues to be proud of me.

Everyone has different traditions on this holiday.  We do the standard ones of eating, spending time with family, and goofing off.  But a bit of a different sort of thing that we do in the Bern household is decorate for Christmas.  I take care of the lights and outside decorations while my wife makes things festive inside.  Yeah, I know we have a full month until Christmas, but we love the season so much that we can't wait to get it all up.

I hope that all of you can find something to be thankful for, and that you enjoy your own traditions.  Happy Thanksgiving!