Translate This Blog

Friday, July 31, 2009

All The World's A Stage

My wife is a big drama nut. She loves performing, and minored in drama in college. Maybe I'm partial, but I think she's quite good. We've been in this area for about three years, but she hasn't gotten involved with the local community theater. That is, until now. Earlier this week she auditioned for Shakespeare's Much Ado About Nothing. The crazy thing is that she somehow managed to talk me into auditioning as well.

When I was a senior in high school I was a co-star in two plays. At the time I thought I was pretty decent and auditioned for a part in a play when I started college. That's when I discovered just how outclassed I really was. Since then I've had parts in various church plays, but have never tried out for anything in local theater. Mostly that's because of a lack of real interest. I kind of like acting, but it's not in my blood like it is in my wife's. She is passionate about all aspects of theater and talks about the thrill of the smell of greasepaint. Me? Not so much. I actually like acting, but I hate memorization. And unfortunately that's kind of an important part of theater. Really, I agreed to audition because my wife wanted me to, and I really can't resist when she bats those beautiful brown eyes and gives me "that look". I melted and caved in.

The audition went well, and we were both offered parts. I'm playing Borachio and she's playing Margaret. Both are supporting roles, but it gets her foot in the door with the theater company. And I have to say that I'm actually kind of looking forward to it. I've been a big fan of Shakespeare for years, though I completely disagree with studying it as literature. Shakespeare wrote plays, not books. His works are meant to be performed and seen, not read. This play is a comedy, and looks to be a lot of fun.

To anyone considering a career as a veterinarian, remember that your job is not your life. You really need to have interests and pursuits away from work or you'll go insane. Now we just have to figure out a way to juggle work, kids, church, and play rehearsals!