Translate This Blog

Saturday, March 7, 2009

Those Wacky Clients

One of this blog's readers is also a veterinarian, and recently posted about one of her clients. Check out this very interesting story right here. I have to say that her story tops any of the ones I have. But that doesn't mean that I don't see some strange clients. Part of dealing with the public is seeing those quirky, strange, or downright insane people that make you wonder what in the world kind of medication they're on.

Once I had a client who insisted on talking about her various medical disorders, especially of the skin. I think she talked to us more about her own problems than her dog's. The worst part was that she always insisted on showing us the lesions, and asking if we thought the scabs in her hair were due to mites.

Several years ago we had a client who started nursing her daughter while in the exam room. That wasn't too bad, and breastfeeding is perfectly natural. However, her daughter looked to be about 6 or 7 years old. While I know some people believe in this, I don't know that a vet's office is really an appropriate place for this.

Last year we had a client who thought it was cute when her little dog nuzzled and licked on the skin on the underside of her breast. As is typical in these situations, she was doing it in the exam room right in front of us.

You know, I'm noticing that most of these "odd" clients confound us with their own bodily or mental habits.

People like this definitely help keep the job interesting, and are DEFINITELY not something we're taught about in vet school!